The European Suzuki Association (ESA) was founded in 1980 as a non-profit organisation in order to serve as a coalition of National Suzuki Associations throughout Europe, Middle East and Africa. Its primary purpose is to further Dr. Shinichi Suzuki's approach to education in music and other subjects through the provision of a Suzuki Teacher Training Program which maintains the quality of Suzuki Teaching throughout the region.
As a Regional Association, the ESA is an umbrella organisation for National Suzuki Associations and Teacher Trainers throughout the region. We provide conventions for Teachers, Teacher Trainers and Students. Surplus funds are donated to The European Suzuki Teaching Development Trust (ESTDT) which supports the aims of the European Suzuki Association.
The ESA is managed by a Board of Directors which includes representatives of each National Suzuki Association (Country Directors).
The Board of Directors entrusts the daily running of the organisation to the ESA Officers and Administrator.
The Instrument Committees advise the ESA Board on the appointment of Instructors and Teacher Trainers as well as matters relating to Teacher Training and Examinations.
The members of the European Suzuki Association are the National Suzuki Associations and Individual Associate Members.
The National Suzuki Associations have individual members, who may be teachers, parents of students or interested members of the public.
A proportion of membership fees collected by the National Suzuki Associations is paid to the ESA who then pay an annual membership fee on behalf of all Suzuki teacher members to the International Suzuki Association Inc. Individual Associate Members pay membership fees direct to the ESA.
If you have any comments or questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This policy explains what we do with your personal data and who we may share it with. This policy also tells you about your rights in respect of the personal information we hold about you and how to contact us to exercise your rights or to find out more about how we handle personal data.
In order for us to fulfil our functions as a professional association, we process personal data relating to existing, former and prospective members and other individuals we do business with (also referred to in this notice as 'you'), including:
- ESA current, prospective and former members of all categories
- Committee Members
- Teachers affiliated with the ESA
- Subscribers to newsletters
- Registrants for conventions
- Representatives and contacts from other organisations and service providers
Complainants and enquirers
The ESA is committed to preserving the appropriate confidentiality, integrity and security of the personal data we process by complying with the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the provisions of the 2016 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)) and all applicable Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.
What personal data do we collect?
Personal data is any information relating to an identifiable living individual. Different pieces of information, which collected together can lead to the identification of a particular person, also constitute personal data. We may collect the following information about individuals:
- personal details including your full name, contact details, including postal and email addresses
- musical instruments played by teacher members of the ESA
- which teachers teach in which country
- application forms and references
- account and payment details
- membership details
- details of complaints
- financial details
- photographs, videos and sound recordings of performances at ESA events which may include images or recordings of specific individuals any other information you choose to give us
How do we collect it?
We collect data directly from the National Suzuki Associations when their Administrator inputs details of their members onto the ESA member database and also from Individual Associate Member Applications forms, when you complete registration forms, application forms and information you submit via our website.
When you visit our website, we automatically collect some technical information from your computer or mobile device such as IP address, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions and operating systems and platforms and information about your visit to the website and your use of it.
We take photographs, videos and sound recordings of presentations and performances at ESA events and/or may be given such material by others attending such events.
How we use your data
We will only use your data in a manner that is appropriate considering the basis on which that data was collected.
For example, we may use the personal data you provide to:
- Administer your membership
- Send you ESA Exam Certificates
- Process financial transactions that you initiate
- Send you information about relevant events, concerts, fundraising events, initiatives, etc.
- Send publications by mail and email
- Contact you by phone regarding matters relating to your membership
- Send and receive questionnaires
We use photographs, videos and sound recordings of performances at ESA events to publicise the work of the ESA and to allow our members and other interested parties to find out about and enjoy performances. To do this we may include such material on our website or by posting on social media and/or media such as YouTube or Vimeo.
When we share your data
We will only pass your data to third parties in the following circumstances:
- you have provided your explicit consent for us to pass data to a named third party
- we are using a third party purely for the purposes of processing data or payments on our behalf and we have in place a data processing agreement with that third party that fulfils our legal obligations in relation to the use of third party data processors; or
- we are required by law to share your data.
In addition, we will only pass data to third parties outside of the EU where appropriate safeguards are in place as defined by Article 46 of the General Data Protection Regulation. We will not pass your information on to other marketing providers and we will not sell your information to any third party.
How will we share your data?
The ESA uses a number of third party service providers in order to carry out some of the activities described above, for example to send you mailings, to collect payments and to manage registrations, surveys, campaigns and events. The ESA requires such service providers to process your personal data only for the purpose of the relevant service. Where applicable we have contracts in place with our suppliers, which require them to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation and The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (or PECR) and to have robust systems and processes to protect the security of your information.
Unless instructed otherwise by a teacher member:
- The ESA will publish on its website and other publications contact details for teacher/teacher trainer members to advertise their events and will pass such information to prospective participants
- Teacher details will also be shared with the International Suzuki Association.
We must have a legal basis to use your personal information when the law allows us to. In accordance with the law, we process the personal data described above because:
- it is necessary in order to perform the contract we have entered into with you;
- it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests (or those of a third party). Where we use your personal data for our legitimate interests, we make sure that we take into account any potential impact that such use may have on you. If we believe your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms override our legitimate interests, we will not use your personal data on this basis and may seek your specific consent and/or another lawful basis.
- it is necessary for our compliance with a legal obligation.
How long will we hold your data?
We may retain records for legitimate reasons after your relationship with the ESA has ended, for example to resolve any potential disputes, cross-check against future membership applications and to comply with other retention obligations.
Your rights over your data
The law gives you certain rights in relation to your data.
- You have the right to ask for rectification and/or deletion of your information
- You have the right of access to your information
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner if you feel your rights have been infringed
A full summary of your legal rights can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website here https://ico.org.uk/
You can email us at email@example.com to access any of the rights listed above or to cancel your membership if you hold one. We will comply with your request within a reasonable timeframe, unless we have a lawful reason not to do so.
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data. All information you provide to us is stored securely and any access to your online user account is controlled by a password and user name that is unique to you.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
In the event of any breach of our systems impacting on the security of a member’s or any other individual’s personal data, we will inform the affected member(s) or individuals at the earliest opportunity describing the nature of the breach, the possible consequences and the measures being taken to remedy the situation in accordance with our procedures and applicable law. Where necessary, we will notify the Information Commissioner’s Office in accordance with the law.
Please direct any comments or enquires relating to this policy to:
European Suzuki Association Administrative Office
45 Main Street
Peterborough PE8 5AN