2015 ISA Committee report on VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL BOOKS 1 to 7
The committee approved the following corrections:
- New pictures for Book 1 using children appropriate for that level.
- Adding an ossia in Humoresque for ms. 37 - 39 that more approximates the original score
- Adding the duet version of the Bach Unaccompanied
Gavotte at the end of Book 5 as a practice suggestion (TERI has published it in the Zen-On edition)
- Fixing piece titles in Books 5 – 7 to include the source
(some have it – some don’t)
- Request a new recording for Books 1 – 3 by Bill with Linda as accompanist utilizing current recording techniques used for Books 4 – 8
2015 ISA Committee report on VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL BOOKS 9 & 10
At their meeting in 2015, the ISA Violin Committee decided to revise these two books along the lines of the revisions for Books 1 - 8
- Each regional violin committee will appoint a study group to make suggestions on re-editing the concertos using Barenreiter or some other more original model as a starting point and prepare a report for the ISA Violin Committee by September 1, 2016
- The ISA Violin Committee will then take each regional committee’s report and study them at the committee meeting in October 2016
- Suggestions prepared by the ISA committee will then go back to each regional committee for feedback and further suggestions
- The ISA committee will prepare a report to present at the International Suzuki Teacher-Trainers Conference in October 2017 (probably hosted by ESA)
- Following the Conference, the ISA committee will take all considerations and finalize the edition
- There will be no recording issued per Dr. Suzuki’s request that students listen to many artists’ recordings for these volumes
TERI is working on two projects of interest.
- Dr. Suzuki’s volumes for sight-reading for Books 4 – 8 students, which include suggested repertoire outside the materials for study. TERI will circulate those repertoire lists and would like to study more carefully the suggested repertoire lists from SAA.
- Re-issuing of Dr. Suzuki’s “Practice with Me” tapes into a more compatible format and updated, if needed, to reflect the current revised editions.
Accuracy of the Revised VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL VOLUME 1 to 5
In June 2011 problems with the accuracy of some copies of the Suzuki Violin School Revised Editions Volumes 1 – 5 were identified. The ISA Violin Committee worked with Alfred Publishing to make any corrections necessary in the files for the music, text and translations of these books.
Since 2012, all volumes have an identification number on the title page so teachers and students can be sure to have the most up-to-date printing of each volume.
Reprints of Violin Volumes 1-3 were completed in Dec 2008 and are issued with the following iSBN numbers.
Volume 1 ISBN 0-7579- 0061-5
Volume 2 ISBN 0-7390-4812-0
Volume 3 ISBN 0-7390-4815-3
Revised VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL VOLUME 4
The revised edition of Suzuki Violin School Volume 4 was completed and published in December 2008 by Alfred Music Publishing.
Errata Please note two bowing misprints in the Practice Suggestions for the Bach Double Concerto on page 24.
Violin 2 (p. 27, mm. 40-41): The slur on the third beat in the first measure of the example should begin on the note D, not on the note E.
Violin 2 (p. 29, mm. 75-76): There should be no slur on the first beat of the first measure.
The bowings in the corresponding main text of the Bach Double are correct.
Revised VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL VOLUME 5
Work was completed on the revised Violin Suzuki School Volume 5 by the ISA Violin Committee in October 2008.
There are no changes to the repertoire in Volume 5, but there are some changes in fingerings (often suggestions of two different fingerings, above and below) and bowings to reflect more current performance practice and pedagogy as follows:
Basic technical exercises to be worked on throughout the book will be presented at the beginning
- Tonalisation with tone colour differences using different bow placement
- Position Etude from 2d to 5th position
- Perpetual motion in 5th position and Changing string exercises 2nd part, the 1st being presented in book 4
- Three octave scales in G major and G melodic minor
The revised Piano Accompaniments for Books 1 to 5 are now available.
Revision of VIOLIN SUZUKI SCHOOL BOOKS 6, 7 and 8
Revised Suzuki Violin School Volumes 6 and 7 are currently available along with revised recordings.
Work on the revised Volume 8 has now been completed and is due to be published in June 2016. As with Books 6 & 7, the revision to Book 8 followed the mandate to retain the present Suzuki repertoire with attention to current performance practice. In addition, the ISA Violin Committee has deleted extraneous articulations and dynamics in many of the shorter pieces while adding scales and exercises pertinent to the repertoire.
Malipiero v Nachez project
From the year 2000 lengthy discussions took place about the various merits of the Nachez editions of the Vivaldi Concerti in A and G minor versus the Malipiero editions. Trial use of the Malipiero edition with students and teacher trainees took place in many countries. Teacher Trainers completed a questionnaire about the two editions and their use within the Suzuki repertoire.
In 2012 the ESA Board, who is responsible for Teacher Training core materials, decided that the Malipiero edition of Vivaldi A Minor and Vivaldi G Minor will not be used in Teacher Training Examinations.
Teachers are, however, at liberty to present alternatives of the core repertoire to their students if they so wish.
Please note - this search only finds Suzuki teachers that are interested in taking on new students. Not all ESA members are listed - some teachers have opted out.